According to our partner, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission's Pool Safely Campaign, THE THREE MOST IMPORTANT POOL SAFETY TIPS ARE:
- Always Supervise: Designate a "water watcher" during swim time.
- Install a Fence Completely Around the Pool: Use fence gates that are self-closing and self-latching.
- Be Prepared: Learn CPR and keep a telephone by the pool.
Did you know?... There are also many, many other things you can do to keep your children and pets safe. For example, did you realize that leaving toys in the pool creates far more of a hazard than pools that have all temptations removed? This may seem like common sense but it can be hard to think of all the little details! For a detailed safety checklist, we invite you to CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR FREE POOL SAFETY CHECKLIST!
Scroll down to enjoy our special Kids' Corner!
Staying Close, Being Alert and Watching Children in and Around the Pool
- Always watch your children when they are in or near a pool or spa
- Teach children basic water safety tips
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments
- Have a portable telephone close by at all times when you or your family are using a pool or spa
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors
Learning and Practicing Water Safety Skills
- Learn how to swim and teach your child how to swim
- Learn to perform CPR on children and adults, and update those skills regularly
- Understand the basics of life-saving so that you can assist in a pool emergency
Having the Appropriate Equipment for Your Pool or Spa
- Install a four-foot or taller fence around the pool and spa and use self-closing and self-latching gates; ask your neighbors to do the same at their pools
- Install and use a lockable safety cover on your spa
- If your house serves as a fourth side of a fence around a pool, install door alarms and always use them. For additional protection, install window guards on windows facing pools or spas
- Install pool and gate alarms to alert you when children go near the water
- Ensure any pool and spa you use has compliant drain covers, and ask your pool service provider if you do not know
- Maintain pool and spa covers in good working order
- Consider using a surface wave or underwater alarm
Help your children learn about water safety with these fun activities! Brought to you through our partnership with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission's Pool Safely Campaign!
Click here to play The Adventures of Splish & Splash, learn a pool safety song, print a coloring page, and more!
We understand that making an investment in your family's safety and in your property is an important decision. When you contact us, Frank Verni, owner of Life Saver Pool Safety Fence will gladly answer your questions, discuss your needs, and schedule a free estimate.